There was a time when color TV and cable network was a luxury. The greatest entertainment available was Doordarshan and the whole family would sit together to watch the TV shows. The comedy shows on Doordarshan were quite excellent and far better than the saas-bahu saga that rule the TV channels today. Here are 10 best comedy Indian TV shows that will remind you of your childhood:
- Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi: This sitcom written by Sharad Joshi, an eminent comedy writer is one of the first and biggest hit show on Indian television. The show revolves around the life of a married couple, Ranjit Verma and Renu Verma and a brother-in-law. Satish Shah played a major character in Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi as he played different characters who played a key role in each plot. It is one of the most amusing show and quite inimitable.
- Dekh Bhai Dekh: This addictive sitcom plot revolves around the three generations of the Diwan family. The show takes the viewer through various ups and downs. The never-say-die attitude of the family members helps them overcome the sibling rivalry, business problems, relationship troubles and irksome parents and in-laws.
- Zabaan sambhal ke: Another popular sitcom on DD Metro featured Pankaj Kapoor, Tom Alter, Shuha Khote and Viju Khote. Mohan Bharti (Pankaj Kapoor) is enforced to take up a task of teaching in a language school. In his class the students from all over the country and the world come to learn Hindi and the chaos that follows leaves the audience giggling.
- Hum Paanch: Anand Mathur has no end of troubles trying to deal with his five wild daughters. The wife who never misses the chance to henpick him adds further to his troubles. Amidst of the fray, the ghost of the deceased first wife, whom only Anand can see and communicate through her photograph. Each episode was truly a laughter riot.
- Shriman Shrimati: One more sitcom became highly popular thanks to its excellent storyline and comic performances. The character of Koki, Premaji, Dilruba and Keshav were truly a delight to watch. The show was based on the ‘Love Thy Neighbor’s wife premises. The effort put by both the males to flirt with each other’s wives which eventually come to nought gave rise to a number of comic situations.
- Flop Show: This is one of the greatest sitcom written and directed by satirical humorist Jaspal Bhatti. He takes on the socio-cultural problems faced by the common man in India and presents in the flawless style.
- Tu Tu Main Main: This Indian television comedy series that aired on Doordarshan was successful in bringing the house down. The title Tu Tu Main Main, a Hindi phrase means bickering and arguments. And the constant bickering between the Mother-in-law and Daughter-in-law is loved by all.
- Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne: A well-known Hindi TV comedy serial that spun around Mungerilal’s life, a small clerk who is bossed around in the office by his boss and by his wife in the home. Mungerilal overcome his predicament by his daydreaming where he dreams to date a beautiful colleague, takes revenge on his boss, father in law and wife.
- Wagle Ki Duniya: It is a recognized comedy sitcom that was based on the character created by well-known R.K. Laxman, and precisely “The Common Man”. The series revolves around everyday struggles of Srinivas Wagle, a sales clerk, who preferred to live with the farsightedness of the middle class man.
- Yogi: This comedy show was truly a breath of fresh air. The story revolves around the USA settled Indian boy who is trying to find a perfect bride in India. He plans to meet 12 girls and then decide whom he will marry.
I am so tempted to log in to youtube and watch a few episodes of these shows. Aren’t you? In case I missed some of the names, please mention them in the comment section.